Energy Services | (704) 282-4600


Does the City of Monroe supply meter bases?

Yes, the City of Monroe offers free meter bases for single phase services 400 amps and below. You will need to bring a copy of your electrical permit to the Energy Services Building at 2201 Walkup Avenue in order to have the meter base issued to you.

How do I apply for Electric Service?

The Customer Service Department can assist with establishing new utility accounts.  You can contact them at (704) 282-4511 or by email at  Also, you can stop by the Customer Service Department in person.  We are located at 201 E. Windsor Street in Monroe.



What does it cost to convert my electrical service from overhead to underground?

The City of Monroe will need to prepare an actual cost estimate for the new underground line. Please contact the Energy Services Engineering Department to schedule an appointment at (704) 282-4600.

What is the cost of installing an area light on my property?

You may call Customer Service at (704) 282-4511 to apply for an area light and an Engineering Technician will contact you and make an appointment to discuss the monthly rate information.  The City of Monroe may need to have access to get a linetruck on the property.  If the customer has a fence, then the gate will need to be a minimum of 12 feet in order for the line truck to enter.

What is the NC Weatherization Assistance Program?

The Weatherization Assistance Program helps low-income North Carolinians save energy and reduce utility bills. The program is administered through the North Carolina Energy Office.  The focus of the program is on the elderly, the disabled, families with children, high energy users, and the energy burdened.

Weatherization assistance is available for single-family homes, apartments, condominiums, and mobile homes. You DO NOT have to own your own home to be eligible. Renters MUST have written permission from their landlord.  You may contact the Union office of Gaston Community Action, Inc. at 704-282-0400 for information and an application.

Weatherization Logo


Where do I call to find out about having a street light installed?

Please contact Energy Services Engineering Department at (704) 282-4600 to find out about having a street light installed.

Who do I call if I am having power fluctuations, voltage trouble or my power goes out?

Please contact Energy Services at (704) 282-4600.

Who do I call if my street light or area light is not working properly?

To request maintenance of street lights and area lights, or to report an outage, please contact the City of Monroe Customer Service Department at (704) 282-4511 or fill out the Street Light Repair Form.

Who do I call to get underground lines marked?


State law requires excavators to call the North Carolina One Call Center (NC One Call) at 811 before beginning any excavation work. This is a free service. When an excavator locate request is received by NC One Call, utilities have three working days from 12:01 of the next business day to mark their underground facilities.


Why does the City of Monroe trim trees along power lines?

Trees enhance the beauty of our neighborhoods, add value to properties and provide cool shade during the summer months but trees growing too close to overhead power lines can threaten your safety and cause power outages, especially during high winds and ice storms.